Index to Public Lands News of May 17, 2019
Index to the current issue:
* HOUSE PANEL APPROVES PUBLIC LANDS MONEY BILL. Contains almost 20 percent more money than Trump requested. Does agree with Trump on $2.25B for wildfire ‘fix.’ De-emphasis on development, emphasis on protection.
* COURT VACATES CHACO O&G PERMITS. Says BLM should assess cumulative impacts in EAs backing APDs. One of several adverse court rulings.
* DEMS, GOP DISAGREE ON FED MINERAL PRIORITY. Grijalva, Udall introduce ambitious royalty bills. Senate committee focuses on permitting.
* BERNHARDT BACKS WILD HORSE PLAN. At hearing with appropriators, he says it may not go far enough. Proposal would remove 20,000 per year.
* GOP PUSHES HAZARDOUS FUELS PROJECTS. Bill would categorically exempt from NEPA projects up to 30,000 acres. FS proposes similar legislation.
* DEMS’ BILL WOULD CRACK DOWN ON METHANE. Would put Obama rule back in effect while BLM writes tough new rule, codify EPA regulation.
* ENVIROS WOULD HALT TONGASS TIMBER SALES. Lawsuit says plan for 15 years of sales fails to identify specific sites. 656 mmbf under the gun.
* DOI BACKS BADGER-TWO O&G LEASES. That Obama tried to cancel. Tester castigates Interior for not fighting to stop last two of 47 leases.
* IBLA DECISIONS.
* BOXSCORE OF LEGISLATION.