Index to Public Lands News of February 16, 2018
Index to the current issue:
In the attached issue. . .
* BLM TO REINSTATE OLD METHANE RULES. Bureau follows up on rule delaying Obama regs with a proposal to return to old rules. Lawsuits likely.
* BUDGET DEAL OPENS UP SPENDING. Increases overall domestic cap by $60 billion in fiscal 2018 and $68 billion in fiscal 2019. No fire fix.
* TRUMP 2019 BUDGET AUSTERE, DESPITE BUDGET DEAL. Does include a wildfire fix. Would boost energy development, timber sales; little else.
* GOVERNORS QUESTION ZINKE’S DOI REORGANIZATION. Complain they weren’t consulted. DoI would go from mostly state boundaries to regional.
* BLM REVISES O&G LEASING POLICY. IMs would expedite sales by limiting EISs and EAs and setting time limits. Enviros suggest a lawsuit.
* GREENS FILE SUIT AGAINST NPRA O&G SALES. Argue BLM should have prepared EA or EIS that assesses climate change impacts before leasing.
* BLM REVOKES CALIF. DESERT WITHDRAWAL. May help hard rock and renewable energy industries. BLM says little harm in ending 1.3M-acre action.
* FS, BLM GIVE INPUT ON LANDS BILLS. At Senate hearing they favor measures to expand commodity development and oppose measure to limits uses
* SENATE DEMS OBJECT TO SAGE-GROUSE POLICY. Tell Zinke that favoring O&G development could harm habitat. Say public opinion disagrees.
* GRIJALVA ASKS GAO REPORTS ON O&G POLICY. He suggests that (1) lease bids are too low and (2) industry is sitting on too many drill permits.
* IBLA DECISIONS.
* CONFERENCE CALENDAR.