Index to Public Lands News of September 22, 2017
Index to the current issue:
In the attached issue. . .
* ZINKE MONUMENT REPORT CIRCULATED. Calls for a decrease in size of four western monuments and an increase in consumptive uses in others.
* COURT TIES CLIMATE CHANGE TO COAL LEASING. Appeals panel says BLM can’t argue that leasing/no leasing climate impacts are the same.
* INTERIOR MOVES TOWARD ANWR O&G DEVELOPMENT. Lays groundwork for exploration program in coastal plain. Legality debated by state, greens.
* HILL APPROVES WILDFIRE PAYBACK. Emergency spending bill is projected to compensate FS, DoI with $300M for FY 2017 costs. Damage is done.
* HOUSE APPROVES INTERIOR, FS MONEY BILL. Loads it up with amendments to encourage energy development, limit ESA sweep. Long way to go.
* FIVE ESA BILLS ON HOUSE PANEL’S AGENDA. Together they would revise law substantially by involving states early, limiting lawsuit awards.
* TWO DOI NOMINEES SEEM UNSCATHED. Senate Energy Committee approves Nelson and Balash with overwhelming support. Seen as help to Zinke.
* HOUSE APPROVES BAN ON METHANE RULES. In FY 2017 Interior approps bill it includes amendments to shut off money for BLM and EPA rules.
* SMALL AND BIG UTAH O&G SALES CRITICIZED. Small sale last week hit for impact on sage-grouse. Big December sale hit for wild area impact.
* IBLA DECISIONS.
* CONFERENCE CALENDAR.