Index to Public Lands News of March 15, 2019
Index to the current issue:
* TRUMP BUDGET NOT POPULAR WITH DEMS. It recommends an 11 percent reduction for DoI. Emphasizes energy. Does endorse wildfire fix, if needed.
* TRUMP SIGNS OMNIBUS LANDS BILL INTO LAW. After stunning House and Senate votes. Contains more than 100 separate bills, including LWCF.
* DEMS AND GOP DIFFER ON ENERGY POLICY. In one of first House hearings Democrats criticize Trump’s energy dominance. Gosar, Nedd counter.
* MANCHIN WARMS TO HARD ROCK REFORMS. Noted Democratic protector of the coal industry endorses major hard rock changes, including royalty.
* WYOMING SELLS O&G TRACTS NEAR GROUSE. Environmentalists criticize, but BLM foresees no net loss of habitat. Other big sales on the docket.
* UTAH PETITIONS FOR FS ROADLESS RULE. Asks the Forest Service to write a state-specific regulation. Wants more hazardous fuels treatments.
* FWS TO SEEK WOLF EXEMPTION FROM ESA. Says will propose a national rule to delist the wolf under ESA, except for the lobo. Major angst.
* CRITICS ATTEMPT TO HALT NPRA O&G STUDY. Native group, enviros object to ConocoPhillips’s exploration plan for new area. Want an EIS first.
vHOUSE DEMS OPPOSE BWCA MINING PROPOSAL. Object to Trump administration withdrawal reversal, approval of mineral leases. Seek documents.
* IBLA DECISIONS.
* BOXSCORE OF LEGISLATION.